After creating a Program, Admins may upload a Contact List by uploading a CSV file or importing a list from VAN.
How to load a Contact List
Select Contact List
- Select the "Contact Lists" subtab within the Program Admin and click the "Start a New Import" button.
- Select the Contact List source. There are two choices: CSV file import or VAN list import.
Important: CSV Lists cannot be synced via API back to VAN. Lists imported from VAN can be synced via API back to VAN if “Sync program data” is enabled in the Program.
CSV File Import
- CSV Import: Select a file from your computer, then select "Upload." Admins can add a name to the import with a CSV import to help identify the file in Data Exports and Analytics.
- For CSV files: Map the columns for the Standard data fields - Cell Phone Number, First Name, Last Name, and Email. Select "Save and Continue."
Note: If a Contact is loaded with their First Name or Last Name fields in ALL CAPS - TextOut will automatically convert them to the proper case to not yell at Contacts.
VAN Saved List Import
- Select a VAN Instance, then select the desired VAN folder and saved the list to import. With a VAN import, the list name will be automatically added to help identify the saved list in Data Exports and Analytics.
- A VAN Import file contains up to three phone numbers: "Cell Phone," "Phone," and "Home Phone" for each person. Specify the order of priority to determine which numbers should be used first in the cases where that value is blank for the Contact. It is optional to specify a second and third preference. Select "Save and Continue."
The system will attempt to automatically map the columns in the file to the standard fields. Review the mapping and edit as necessary. If the file doesn't contain one of the standard fields, leave the mapped field in the right column blank. The prefix numbers shown on the mapped field column, i.e. , , indicate the column number in the uploaded file.
If any additional non-standard columns are found in the file, they'll be displayed below the standard fields and enabled by clicking the checkbox. To adjust the field name, overwrite the value in the table.
Set up any exclusions to apply to the Contact List. New exclusions can be added at the Program level by selecting "Add New Rule." Select "Save and Continue."
Review & Submit
Review the Contact List import details of the file import, including the Source Type, File Name, Audience Name (optional), and Exclusions. Edits can be made at any point if needed before submitting the file. Click "Submit" to process the Contact List.
After importing the file, TextOut will process the list for duplicate and invalid costs and produce a cost estimation based on the number of Contacts loaded. If the list is extensive, a message will appear to notify that the file is being processed. Admins can return to the Import History screen later to review cost estimates, make final selections, and complete the import.
Important: Please remember this is an estimate only!
TextOut will automatically remove any Contacts marked as undeliverable from Contact Lists free of cost. Phones marked as undeliverable will not be loaded into the current texting Program and any future Programs.
TextOut will process the list of Contacts and remove "Invalid and/or Duplicates in import file" and any other contacts based on exclusions. Invalid contacts are defined as one or more of the following:
- Invalid phone number (bad format, not enough digits, has letters, is empty)
- No phone number
- Duplicate phone number within the file
- Missing the first name associated with a phone number
Provisioning a Contact List
Once the Contact Import Summary is reviewed, enter up to four area codes to use for texting. TextOut will secure 10-digit phone numbers with those area codes for sending messages to this list.
If there aren't enough phone numbers available for provisioning in the area code(s) selected, the status will end up as "provisioned partially" or "failed." The List Provision summary will display whether the area codes are available or exhausted.
For successful provisioning, TextOut recommends entering four area codes every time - often, highly desired area codes may be unavailable during busy periods.
Select "Confirm," and TextOut will provision the list. The Imports History screen for the Program will show the import status, the number of contacts uploaded and excluded, and estimated cost.
Important: Review the estimated cost for a Contact List before provisioning.
If provisioning is skipped, texting will not immediately be available. Skipping provisioning allows Admins to load Contact Lists and prepare a Program for texting and return and request phone numbers when ready.